What a Scrappy Life

Pages

Saturday 5 July 2014

Visit to Preston - June 2014 - Part 2

On the Saturday, I decided I needed to see Preston City Centre - so I headed into town on the bus





I walked along Preston bus station






then visited the outdoor market





I wonder if these are the same boards that was used all those years ago when I was younger and the outside market was a buzz of activity.








I love this view of the cenotaph - it looks just the same, bright and clean, (the building in the background used to be the Post Office) - not sure what it is now.





Then I saw a school friend who was taking part in the Carribean carnival 'King & Queen' contest on the flag market, now has I had about one hour to wait before it started, I decided to pop into the museum - and I'm so glad I did - there is an exhibition about Preston  and has I walked round it was like stepping back in time - I saw a lot of places I remember quite clearly growing up, where my mum worked, the large factory where my Dad and most of the people I knew worked at one time or another, 



and then when I turned around I saw this.






Why would this photo strike me !!! well this is the place I was born - not the actual mosque - but on the site is where my house was before they knocked it down built the mosque.  The first mosque in Preston.  (my next visit to Preston I going to drive round and take a photo).




After looking around the exhibition I then headed outside to see the 'king & Queen' event - this is the start of the Carribean Carnival week of events and the winning pair - get to lead the procession - which is a big honour.



There was a steel band






And whilst the judges made their decisions, some young girls got up to dance - has the compare said 'its in the blood' it was great to see them and everyone enjoying the afternoon entertainment.




But the best part of the day was meeting this man,







 it had been about 15 years since I'd seen him and it took me all my time not to cry.  This man was one of the my Dad's best friends.  He was also my Master of Ceremony at my wedding, 19 years ago - and I can still remember the speech he did, he didn't read it out, it came straight from the heart - I definitely going to do a layout about this meeting as well as the speech.  Don't you think it strange how certain things come flooding back to you, things that are important, but you have forgotten about them.  This totally made my day.

As well as seeing him, I saw a lot of familiar faces and it was great to see them again and have a quick catch up.

Then it was back to my friends and my old next door neighbour came round for the drink - it was great seeing her and catching up.






That was my fun packed weekend, love how an unplanned visit to the town gave me some great memories.


Thanks for stopping by...




1 comments:

Sheena said...

Goodness x
You certainly crammed lots into your weekend away :)